Thursday, April 12, 2012

FDA plan would seek voluntary limits of antibiotics in animal feed

My wife and I spent the winter in Arizona, primarily in Yuma, way down south bordering on California and Mexico. Desert. Well... is would be if the Colorado River hadn't been turned into a teeny-tiny stream. (Did you know that for the last twelve years, not a single drop of Colorado water has reached the Sea of Cortez?)

So... Yuma is the lettuce capital of America. Or maybe of the world. It seems that the flatness of desert, when properly irrigated, is perfect for growing lettuce. Square mile and square miles of lettuce. Some fields are planted with different kinds of lettuce, so that "mixed bags" are prepared right at the picking stage. Fascinating. Really.

OK... so there's lettuce in the desert. That doesn't mean that there's much in the way of forage for cattle. In fact, there's nothing at all. Zero. Zilch. Cattle would starve in a few days.

Except... that there are cattle being raised near Yuma. In the middle of the desert. In conditions that should cause every American to swear off beef forever.  The animals must have about ten square feet each. The smell permeates the air for miles. 

In order to keep the animals alive in such disgustingly unhealthy conditions, they are fed huge quantities of antibiotics.

Then those antibiotics arrive in people's plates. And microbes become immune...

... and the meat industry makes a bundle of money in the meantime...


4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob!
    Nice article. I have a friend who became a vegan because of this. She hosted a viewing of 'Food Inc." and "Forks Over Knives". I have to say that it changed the way that I eat.

    Our government is in the pocket of big business. Pink slime, SCOTUS judges writing the decision for the company they used to work for (that would be Thomas and Monsanto)...

    The foxes are watching the hen house.

    Hope you are well.
    Perrie aka the right wing mole ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way too much money for Food lobbies to give up easily. Big Pharma and Agriculture may even pay some lip service or the other, but they could care less about the FDA asking them for voluntary limits.
    Nice article Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Larry!

    How did you find this place? I haven't posted here in many, many months. I realized that the only "visitors" I was getting were Russian netbots... :-(((

    So I upped my participation on NT.

    It was a disappointment, but at the end I was flogging a dead horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Larry!

    How did you find this place? I haven't posted here in many, many months. I realized that the only "visitors" I was getting were Russian netbots... :-(((

    So I upped my participation on NT.

    It was a disappointment, but at the end I was flogging a dead horse.

    ReplyDelete